Let's do some supposing. Suppose that we have on a plate before us a pile of warm dog poop. Let's suppose that I dare you to stick your finger in it. (Let's also suppose that your finger is whole and uncut so there's no risk of infection, just of you being very disgusted. And there's a sink and soap right behind you so you can turn around and wash off the aforementioned finger thoroughly.)
You'll probably say no.
Now let's say I offered you a penny for it.
You'll probably say no.
What? What is this?! You're profiting from it! You're going from your net worth at that moment to your net worth plus a cent! You can't complain!
Yet you said no. Such is your prerogative as a human being. You don't have to be forced to do inconvenient things you don't want to do in exchange for a recompense that does not offset the inconvenience.
Now let's say I offer you five bucks. You're more tempted.
Now I offer you a million dollars. I actually have them. Fresh, they are, and in a leather attache case. (I'll throw the case in too you lucky dog.)
I'm betting you'll do it.
If you read that post and it made sense (not in a tricky way, there's no trick-question element to this), then congratulations, you just grasped an important principle of economics that many people fail to understand.
And since at the time of this writing Stephanie is my only follower, and is in all likelihood the only one that will read this for a while, I now have a vivid image in my mind of Stephanie immersing her finger up to her second knuckle in a warm pile of dog poop. You sicko, Steph.
By the way, did anyone grasp the economic principle being taught here?
I'm a poor college student....I might do it for just the 5 bucks.....how sad is that!! or more accurately...how sicko???
ReplyDeleteLOL! It would be BRILLIANT, IF you caught the economic principle behind it. If nobody gets it, I'll have to make yet ANOTHER dog poop post and explain the whole concept.
ReplyDeleteI would probably stick my finger in it just cause you dared me to. it's just dog poop..
ReplyDeleteI don't know why it says I'm unknown... how rude :(
ReplyDeletehey.. now it doesn't :D
ReplyDeleteOkay, Rhap, but do you get the economic principle? If not, no biggie. I'll post the interpretation today.
ReplyDeleteLet's make it more complicated. If 200 other people had been paid 2 million dollars to do it, would the subject refuse to complete the task for a mere 1 million?
ReplyDeleteProbably, Coah. I learned about that in psychology. Now the real question is, if the Fed was giving out billions for nothing at all, why would anyone stick their finger in excrement? :P
ReplyDeleteTime to outsource to other countries!
ReplyDelete